There has already been a ton of buzz about Levi’s new collection of bike commuter clothes for women – yes, at long last, Levi’s has made bike jeans for women. Only some 3 or 4 years after their men’s collection. Slow to the bandwagon, but at least on it, finally! I can’t wait to get my hands on a pair!
Another sharp-eyed member of the women and bikes Facebook group I belong to found these REI Novara Bike Jeans on clearance, so I ordered a pair. Frankly, they look a bit more figure-forgiving than the Levi’s.
But I noticed that while the Novara jeans offer a loop for one’s U-lock, the Levi’s don’t seem to have that. I guess the “deeper back pockets” are their option. Personally, I’m glad, because I am not the kind of bike rider who carries their bike lock in a pocket; mine is clamped to the top tube. But it did make me wonder who carries their U-lock in their pocket.
So I want to know what you wear when you are biking:
- Do you ride your bike more for commuting to work, or for running errands on weekends, just for run, or purely for sport?
- What do you wear if you bike to work? Do you gear up, or just wear your work clothes?
- If you bike to work in your work clothes, what type of job do you have? Do you need to look corporate, or is your job pretty casual?
- If you mostly spend time on your bike on weekends/vacations/free time, do you wear bike gear or whatever?
- What sort of “bike friendly” touches would you want on your dream bike pants? The U-lock loop? Reflective trim on pockets and cuffs? Reinforced crotch? Seamless crotch? Articulated knees? Moisture-wicking fabric? Fabric that takes off 10lbs?
For example, I pretty much only bike to work, because most of what I need on the weekends is walking distance, or something like IKEA, where I need a car both to get to it and to haul stuff home. Therefore, I spend more time biking in my business clothes, and less time biking in jeans and casual wear. I really don’t need bike jeans, then, since normal jeans do just fine (although I do like my Ligne 8 jeans!). And I certainly don’t want to put my U-lock in the pocket of my business pants, and it would never fit in a blazer pocket.
If you would be so kind as to leave comments, telling me what you prefer to wear while you are biking, I’d be grateful for your responses for my non-scientific (or even Survey Monkey) survey!